Keep New York safe from drilling
Halliburton, ExxonMobil and others have convinced Gov. Andrew Cuomo to open up New York to dangerous Marcellus Shale gas drilling. We need New Yorkers like you to help put enough pressure on Gov. Cuomo to persuade him to abandon his reckless proposal.
The greatest threat to New York's environment in decades
Clear streams, lush forests and rolling farmland define much of New York. But the rush to drill for gas in the Marcellus Shale threatens our environment and communities.
Ravaged forests, contaminated water
Next door in Pennsylvania, we’ve seen drinking water contaminated, waste spilled into rivers and streams, forests trampled by drilling rigs and trucks, and air pollution levels spiking near drilling sites. Pennsylvanian gas drilling has generated 1.3 billion gallons of wastewater that is loaded with toxic chemicals, corrosive salts, and sometimes even radioactive particles. We cannot risk our beloved rivers, streams, forests and fields to fracking.
Will state officials protect our environment and our health?
Incredibly, Gov. Cuomo is moving quickly to allow drilling in New York—without doing critical research on the environmental and health effects. In Pennsylvania, a similarly reckless approach to drilling has led to:
- More than 3,500 violations by the gas industry since 2008;
- Drinking water advisories each year for more than 325,000 residents near Pittsburgh; and
- Explosions and accidents that have put local families and workers at risk. Environment New York is bringing people together from all walks of life to speak out against drilling.
With your support, we can protect New York’s forests, rivers, and drinking water for future generations.
Together we can win
Your activism and our advocacy are a powerful combination — in 2010, it convinced then-Gov. David Paterson to set the nation’s first temporary moratorium on drilling. We need you to get involved if we’re going to stop Gov. Cuomo’s plan once and for all. If enough of us speak out, we can ensure that New York will stay protected from drilling. Join our campaign by sending Gov. Cuomo a message today.
Tell Gov. Cuomo to keep dangerous drilling out of New York.
Key Facts & Resources
- Learn the truth about fracking. Watch our new expose and take action to stop fracking today. Take action.
- Drilling in Pennsylvania has left a legacy of polluted streams, trampled forests, sickened families, and contaminated drinking water.
- Halliburton, ExxonMobil and others are pushing Gov. Andrew Cuomo to open up huge swaths of the state to dangerous Marcellus Shale gas drilling.
- Your action and support can help us keep drilling out of New York—in the same way that member action and support helped us maintain a temporary statewide drilling ban for the last two years.